Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Sports A racing start in which the contestants are already in full motion when they cross the starting line.
2. A quick or auspicious beginning. In both senses also called running start.
1. (Athletics (Track & Field)) Also called (informal): flyer (in sprinting) a start by a competitor anticipating the starting signal
2. (Athletics (Track & Field)) a start to a race or time trial in which the competitor is already travelling at speed as he or she passes the starting line
3. any promising beginning
4. an initial advantage over others
1. a start, as in sailboat racing, in which the entrants begin moving before reaching the starting line.
2. a vigorous or advantageous beginning.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flying start - a racing start in which the contestants are already in full motion when they pass the starting line|
racing start - the start of a race
|2.||flying start - a quick and auspicious beginning|
start - the beginning of anything; "it was off to a good start"