flyspeck(redirected from flyspecking)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial.
1. A small dark speck or stain made by the excrement of a fly.
2. A minute or insignificant spot.
tr.v. fly·specked, fly·speck·ing, fly·specks
1. To mark or foul with flyspecks.
2. Slang To examine closely or in minute detail; scrutinize.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Zoology) the small speck of the excrement of a fly
2. a small spot or speck
(tr) to mark with flyspecks
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a speck or tiny stain from the excrement of a fly.
2. any minute spot.
3. a minute detail or flaw.v.t.
4. to mark with flyspecks.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: flyspecked
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flyspeck - a tiny dark speck made by the excrement of a fly|
|Adj.||1.||flyspeck - very small; "diminutive in stature"; "a lilliputian chest of drawers"; "her petite figure"; "tiny feet"; "the flyspeck nation of Bahrain moved toward democracy"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.