Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to foliaceous: pemphigus foliaceus
1. Of, relating to, or resembling the leaf of a plant.
2. Having leaves or leaflike structures.
3. Geology Consisting of thin, leaflike layers, as of minerals.
[From Latin foliāceus, from folium, leaf; see folium.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Botany) having the appearance of the leaf of a plant
2. (Botany) bearing leaves or leaflike structures
3. (Geological Science) geology (of certain rocks, esp schists) consisting of thin layers; foliated
[C17: from Latin foliāceus]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
fo•li•a•ceous(ˌfoʊ liˈeɪ ʃəs)
1. of, like, or of the nature of a plant leaf; leaflike.
2. bearing leaves or leaflike parts.
3. consisting of leaflike plates or laminae; foliated.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||foliaceous - of or pertaining to or resembling the leaf of a plant|
|2.||foliaceous - bearing numerous leaves|
leafy - having or covered with leaves; "leafy trees"; "leafy vegetables"
|3.||foliaceous - (especially of metamorphic rock) having thin leaflike layers or strata|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.