Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to leaves.
2. Shaped like a leaf.
3. also fo·li·at·ed (-ā′tĭd) Geology Exhibiting foliation.
v. (-āt′) fo·li·at·ed, fo·li·at·ing, fo·li·ates
1. To hammer or cut (metal) into thin leaf or foil.
a. To coat (glass, for example) with metal foil.
b. To furnish or adorn with metal foil.
3. To separate into thin layers or laminae.
4. To decorate with foliage or foils: an arch that is foliated in the Gothic style.
5. To number the leaves of (a manuscript, for example).
1. To produce foliage.
2. To split into thin leaflike layers or folia.
[Latin foliātus, bearing foliage, from folium, leaf; see folium.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Architecture) architect ornamented with or made up of foliage or foils
2. (Geological Science) (of rocks and minerals, esp schists) composed of thin easily separable layers
3. (Botany) (esp of parts of animals or plants) resembling a leaf
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
fo•li•at•ed(ˈfoʊ liˌeɪ tɪd)
1. shaped like a leaf or leaves.
2. consisting of thin and separable laminae.
a. ornamented with or composed of foils: foliated tracery.
b. ornamented with representations of foliage: a foliated capital.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Formed of leaves of flaky, layered minerals aligned during metamorphism.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||foliated - ornamented with foliage or foils; "foliate tracery"; "a foliated capital"|
architecture - the discipline dealing with the principles of design and construction and ornamentation of fine buildings; "architecture and eloquence are mixed arts whose end is sometimes beauty and sometimes use"
|2.||foliated - (especially of metamorphic rock) having thin leaflike layers or strata|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.