Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The state of being in leaf.
2. Decoration with sculpted or painted foliage.
3. Architecture Decoration of an opening with cusps and foils, as in Gothic tracery.
a. The act, process, or product of forming metal into thin leaf or foil.
b. The act or process of coating glass with metal foil.
a. The process of numbering consecutively the leaves of a book or manuscript.
b. The leaves so numbered.
6. Geology The set of layers visible in many metamorphic rocks as a result of the flattening and stretching of mineral grains during metamorphism.
1. (Botany) botany
a. the process of producing leaves
b. the state of being in leaf
c. the arrangement of leaves in a leaf bud; vernation
2. (Architecture) architect
a. ornamentation consisting of foliage
b. ornamentation consisting of cusps and foils
3. (Art Terms) any decoration with foliage
4. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) the consecutive numbering of the leaves of a book
5. (Geological Science) geology the arrangement of the constituents of a rock in leaflike layers, as in schists
fo•li•a•tion(ˌfoʊ liˈeɪ ʃən)
1. the act or process of putting forth leaves.
2. the state of being in leaf.
3. the arrangement of leaves within a bud.
4. the consecutive numbering of the folios or leaves, as distinguished from pages, of a manuscript or book.
5. a form of lamination produced in rocks by metamorphism.
6. ornamentation with foliage.
7. (in architecture) ornamentation with foils or with representations of foliage.
8. formation into thin sheets.
9. the application of foil to glass to make a mirror.
the numbering of leaves in a book, rather than pages.See also: Books
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||foliation - (botany) the process of forming leaves|
growing, growth, ontogenesis, ontogeny, maturation, development - (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level; "he proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"
|2.||foliation - (geology) the arrangement of leaflike layers in a rock|
geology - a science that deals with the history of the earth as recorded in rocks
stratification - forming or depositing in layers
|3.||foliation - (architecture) leaf-like architectural ornament|
architectural ornament - (architecture) something added to a building to improve its appearance
architecture - the discipline dealing with the principles of design and construction and ornamentation of fine buildings; "architecture and eloquence are mixed arts whose end is sometimes beauty and sometimes use"
|4.||foliation - the production of foil by cutting or beating metal into thin leaves|
production - the act or process of producing something; "Shakespeare's production of poetry was enormous"; "the production of white blood cells"
|5.||foliation - the work of coating glass with metal foil|