follicle(redirected from folliculus)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to folliculus: flocculus
a. A small bodily cavity or sac.
b. A crypt or minute cul-de-sac or lacuna, such as the depression in the skin from which the hair emerges.
c. An ovarian follicle.
d. A spherical mass of cells usually containing a cavity.
2. Botany A dry, single-chambered fruit that splits along only one seam to release its seeds, as in larkspur and milkweed.
1. (Anatomy) any small sac or cavity in the body having an excretory, secretory, or protective function: a hair follicle.
2. (Botany) botany a dry fruit, formed from a single carpel, that splits along one side only to release its seeds: occurs in larkspur and columbine
[C17: from Latin folliculus small bag, from follis pair of bellows, leather money-bag]
follicular, folliculate, folˈlicuˌlated adj
fol•li•cle(ˈfɒl ɪ kəl)
a. a small cavity, sac, or gland.
b. one of the small ovarian sacs containing a maturing ovum; Graafian follicle.
2. a dry seed pod consisting of a single carpel, splitting at maturity along the front of the seam.
[1640–50; < Latin folliculus small bag, shell, pod =folli(s) bag, purse + -culus -cle1]
fol•lic•u•lar (fəˈlɪk yə lər) fol•lic′u•late (-lɪt, -ˌleɪt) fol•lic′u•lat`ed, adj.
1. A small, protective sac in the body. In most vertebrate animals, fertilized eggs develop in follicles located in the ovaries. In mammals, hair develops and grows from follicles in the skin.
2. A dry fruit that has a single chamber and splits open along only one seam to release its seeds. Milkweed pods are follicles.
A small secreting cavity or sac. Ova (egg cells) develop in follicles in the female ovaries. See hair follicle.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||follicle - any small spherical group of cells containing a cavity|
vesicle, cyst - a small anatomically normal sac or bladderlike structure (especially one containing fluid)
hair follicle - a small tubular cavity containing the root of a hair; small muscles and sebaceous glands are associated with them
Graafian follicle - a vascular body in a mammalian ovary enclosing a developing egg
follicle[ˈfɒlɪkl] N → folículo m
follicle[ˈfɒlɪkəl] n → follicule m
n → Follikel nt
follicle[ˈfɒlɪkl] n → follicolo
n. folículo, saco, bolsa, depresión o cavidad excretora;
atretic ___ → ___ atrésico;
gastric ___ → ___ gástrico;
hair ___ → ___ piloso;
ovarian ___ → ___ ovárico;
thyroid ___ → ___ tiroideo.