forehead(redirected from foreheads)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
fore·head(fôr′hĕd′, -ĭd, fŏr′-)
1. The part of the face between the eyebrows, the normal hairline, and the temples.
2. The front part of something.
[Middle English forhed, from Old English forhēafod : for-, fore- + hēafod, head; see head.]
(Anatomy) the part of the face between the natural hairline and the eyes, formed skeletally by the frontal bone of the skull; brow.
[Old English forhēafod; related to Old Frisian forhāfd, Middle Low German vorhōved]
fore•head(ˈfɔr ɪd, ˈfɒr-; ˈfɔrˌhɛd, ˈfɒr-)
1. the part of the face above the eyebrows; brow.
2. the fore or front part of something.
See Also: FACE(S)
- The artery in his forehead bulged like a snake —Richard Ford
- Brow like masonry —Ted Hughes
- Forehead..as wrinkled as a washboard —Harvey Swados
- Forehead like a bright new moon —Arabian Nights
- (A slim girl with) a forehead which was shiny and protuberant, like a Bartlett pear —George Ade
- Forehead, with wrinkles like lines drawn all over it —Ivan Turgenev
- Her forehead shines like the gleam of morning —Arabian Nights
- A high forehead with a soft vein running indirectly down the middle like an aimless trickle of water on a windowpane —John Hersey
- His brows became contorted with thick frowns, like a bull’s forehead —V. S. Pritchett
- His brow swells out over his face like an eroded riverbank —T. Coraghessan Boyle
- His forehead bulged [with fury] as if he were horned —Jonathan Valin
See Also: ANGER
- His forehead rose like a gleaming dome towards the crown of his bald head —Alexander Solzhenitsyn
- A pair of thin horizontal lines, like furrows in a meadow of snow, appeared on her forehead —Bill Pronzini
- The skin [on a character’s forehead] was wrinkled into long horizontal lines, like lines of inquiry —Dan Jacobson
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||forehead - the part of the face above the eyes|
face, human face - the front of the human head from the forehead to the chin and ear to ear; "he washed his face"; "I wish I had seen the look on his face when he got the news"
feature, lineament - the characteristic parts of a person's face: eyes and nose and mouth and chin; "an expression of pleasure crossed his features"; "his lineaments were very regular"
|2.||forehead - the large cranial bone forming the front part of the cranium: includes the upper part of the orbits|
glabella, mesophyron - a smooth prominence of the frontal bone between and above the eyebrows; the most forward projecting point of the forehead in the midline at the level of the supraorbital ridges
metopion - the craniometric point midway between the frontal eminences of the skull
ophryon - the craniometric point in the midline of the forehead immediately above the orbits
membrane bone - any bone that develops within membranous tissue without previous cartilage formation; e.g. the clavicle and bones of the skull
frontal eminence - either prominence of the frontal bone above each orbit
forehead[ˈfɒrɪd] N → frente f
forehead[ˈfɒrɪd ˈfɔːrhɛd] n → front m
n → Stirn f
forehead[ˈfɔːˌhɛd] n → fronte f
forehead(ˈforid) , (ˈfoː(r)hed) noun
the part of the face above the eyebrows and below the hairline; the brow. Her hair covers her forehead. voorkop جَبْهَه، جَبين чело testa čelo die Stirn pande μέτωποfrente otsaesine پیشانی otsa frontמצח čelo homlok dahi enni fronte 額 이마 kakta piere dahi voorhoofdpanneczoło تندى، ټنډه، وچولى testa frunte лоб čelo čelo čelo panna หน้าผาก alın 額 лоб, чоло پیشانی trán 额
forehead→ جَبْهَة čelo pande Stirn μέτωπο frente otsa front čelo fronte 額 이마 voorhoofd panne czoło testa лоб panna หน้าผาก alın trán 前额