Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A lock of hair that grows from or falls on the forehead, especially the part of a horse's mane that falls forward between the ears.
A cotter, usually of iron, that is used to draw an unthreaded bolt tight and secure it.
1. a lock of hair growing or falling over the forehead
2. (Horse Training, Riding & Manège) a lock of a horse's mane that grows forwards between the ears
3. (Mechanical Engineering) a wedge or peg passed through the tip of a bolt to prevent withdrawal
(Mechanical Engineering) (tr) to secure (a bolt) by means of a forelock
1. the lock of hair that grows from the fore part of the head.
2. (of a horse) a tuft of hair above or on the forehead.
Past participle: forelocked
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||forelock - a lock of hair growing (or falling) over the forehead|
quiff - a prominent forelock (especially one brushed upward from the forehead)
|2.||forelock - a lock of a horse's mane that grows forward between the ears|
encolure - the mane of a horse
hair - a covering for the body (or parts of it) consisting of a dense growth of threadlike structures (as on the human head); helps to prevent heat loss; "he combed his hair"; "each hair consists of layers of dead keratinized cells"