Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. fore·short·ened, fore·short·en·ing, fore·short·ens
1. To shorten the lines of (an object) in a drawing or other representation so as to produce an illusion of projection or extension in space.
2. To reduce the length of; curtail or abridge.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Art Terms) to represent (a line, form, object, etc) as shorter than actual length in order to give an illusion of recession or projection, in accordance with the laws of linear perspective
2. to make shorter or more condensed; reduce or abridge
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
fore•short•en(fɔrˈʃɔr tn, foʊr-)
1. to reduce or distort in order to convey the illusion of three-dimensional space.
2. to abridge, reduce, or contract; make shorter.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: foreshortened
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||foreshorten - reduce in scope while retaining essential elements; "The manuscript must be shortened"|
bowdlerise, bowdlerize, expurgate, castrate, shorten - edit by omitting or modifying parts considered indelicate; "bowdlerize a novel"
|2.||foreshorten - shorten lines in a drawing so as to create an illusion of depth|
shorten - make shorter than originally intended; reduce or retrench in length or duration; "He shortened his trip due to illness"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
foreshorten[fɔːˈʃɔːtn] VT → escorzar
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995