Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various grasses of the genus Alopecurus, having dense, silky or bristly flowering spikes.
2. Any of several similar grasses, especially of the genera Hordeum and Setaria.
1. (Plants) any grass of the genus Alopecurus, esp A. pratensis, of Europe, Asia, and South America, having soft cylindrical spikes of flowers: cultivated as a pasture grass
2. (Plants) any of various similar and related grasses, esp any of the genus Setaria
1. the tail of a fox.
2. any of various grasses having soft brushlike spikes of flowers.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||foxtail - grasses of the genera Alopecurus and Setaria having dense silky or bristly brushlike flowering spikes|
Alopecurus pratensis, meadow foxtail - stout erect perennial grass of northern parts of Old World having silky flowering spikes; widely cultivated for pasture and hay; naturalized in North America
bristle grass, bristlegrass - grasses of grasslands and woodlands having large gracefully arching spikes with long bristles beneath each spikelet
giant foxtail - two species of coarse annual foxtails that are naturalized weeds in United States
glaucous bristlegrass, Setaria glauca, yellow bristle grass, yellow bristlegrass, yellow foxtail - common weedy and bristly grass found in nearly all temperate areas
bottle grass, bottle-grass, green bristlegrass, green foxtail, rough bristlegrass, Setaria viridis - European foxtail naturalized in North America; often a troublesome weed