Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to frangipani: frangipane
n. pl. fran·gi·pan·is
1. Any of various deciduous shrubs or trees of the genus Plumeria, native to tropical America and widely naturalized elsewhere, having milky sap and showy, fragrant, funnel-shaped, variously colored flowers. Also called plumeria, temple tree.
2. A perfume derived from or similar in scent to the flowers of one of these shrubs or trees.
3. also fran·gi·pane (frăn′jə-pān′) A creamy pastry filling flavored with almonds.
[French frangipane, after Muzio Frangipani, 16th-century Italian marquis.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -panis or -pani
1. (Plants) any tropical American apocynaceous shrub of the genus Plumeria, esp P. rubra, cultivated for its waxy typically white or pink flowers, which have a sweet overpowering scent
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a perfume prepared from this plant or resembling the odour of its flowers
3. (Plants) native frangipani Austral an Australian evergreen tree, Hymenosporum flavum, with large fragrant yellow flowers: family Pittosporaceae
[C17: via French from Italian: perfume for scenting gloves, named after the Marquis Muzio Frangipani, 16th-century Roman nobleman who invented it]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
fran•gi•pan•i(ˌfræn dʒəˈpæn i, -ˈpɑ ni)
n., pl. -pan•is, -pan•i.
1. a perfume prepared from the flower of a tropical American tree or shrub, Plumeria rubra, of the dogbane family.
2. the tree or shrub itself.
[1860–65; < French frangipane, after Muzio Frangipane, 16-century Italian nobleman, supposed inventor of the perfume]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||frangipani - any of various tropical American deciduous shrubs or trees of the genus Plumeria having milky sap and showy fragrant funnel-shaped variously colored flowers|
genus Plumeria, Plumeria, Plumiera - deciduous shrubs and trees of tropical America having branches like candelabra and fragrant white or pink flowers
Plumeria acutifolia, temple tree, pagoda tree - frangipani of India having an erect habit and conical form; grown in temple gardens
pagoda tree, Plumeria alba, West Indian jasmine - tall sparingly branched conical tree having large fragrant yellow flowers with white centers
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.