frond(redirected from frondless)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A leaf of a fern.
2. A large compound leaf of a palm.
3. A leaflike thallus, as of a seaweed or lichen.
[Latin frōns, frond-, foliage.]
1. (Botany) a large compound leaf, esp of a fern
2. (Botany) the thallus of a seaweed or a lichen
[C18: from Latin frōns]
1. an often large, finely divided leaf, esp. as applied to the ferns and certain palms.
2. a leaflike expansion not differentiated into stem and foliage, as in lichens.
[1745–55; < Latin frond-, s. of frōns foliage]
1. A leaf of a fern, usually consisting of multiple leaflets.
2. A large, fan-like leaf of a palm tree.
3. A large, leaf-like structure on a seaweed.