Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An ornament or band worn on the forehead as a phylactery.
2. The forehead of an animal.
3. The forehead of a bird when of a different color or texture of plumage.
4. An ornamental border for a frontal.
[Middle English, from Old French frontelet, diminutive of frontel, ornament worn on the forehead; see frontal2.]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) Also called: frontal a small decorative loop worn on a woman's forehead, projecting from under her headdress, in the 15th century
2. (Zoology) the forehead of an animal, esp of a bird when it is a different colour from the rest of the head
3. (Ecclesiastical Terms) the decorated border of an altar frontal
4. (Judaism) Judaism a phylactery worn on the forehead. See also tefillah
[C15: from Old French frontelet a little frontal]
1. a decorative band, ribbon, or the like, worn across the forehead.
2. the forehead of a horse, deer, or similar mammal.
3. the forehead of a bird when marked by a distinctive color or texture of the plumage.
4. Judaism. the phylactery worn on the forehead.
[1425–75; late Middle English frontlet < Old French, diminutive of frontel, diminutive of front front]