Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various small flies of the family Drosophilidae, having larvae that feed on fermenting or decaying plant material, especially the common species Drosophila melanogaster, often used in genetic research. Also called pomace fly, vinegar fly.
2. Any of various flies of the family Tephritidae, having larvae that hatch in plant tissue and are pests of fruit and vegetable crops.
3. Offensive Slang A woman who enjoys socializing with gay men.
1. any of numerous small, black or steely green flies of the family Tephritidae, whose eggs are deposited in fruit for the larvae to feed on after hatching.
2. Also called drosophila. any of numerous similar yellowish flies of the family Drosophilidae, which feed on the yeasts of fermenting fruit used in laboratory studies.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fruit fly - any of numerous small insects whose larvae feed on fruits|
dipteran, dipteron, dipterous insect, two-winged insects - insects having usually a single pair of functional wings (anterior pair) with the posterior pair reduced to small knobbed structures and mouth parts adapted for sucking or lapping or piercing
Ceratitis capitata, medfly, Mediterranean fruit fly - small black-and-white fly that damages citrus and other fruits by implanting eggs that hatch inside the fruit
drosophila, Drosophila melanogaster - small fruit fly used by Thomas Hunt Morgan in studying basic mechanisms of inheritance
vinegar fly - flies whose larvae feed on pickles and imperfectly sealed preserves