Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. A heavy spiced cake containing nuts, candied or dried fruits, and often rum or brandy.
2. Slang A crazy or an eccentric person: "a fruitcake under the delusion that he was Saint Nicholas" (John Strahinich).
1. (Cookery) a rich cake containing mixed dried fruit, lemon peel, nuts, etc
2. slang chiefly Brit a person considered to be eccentric or insane
1. a rich cake containing candied fruit, nuts, spices, etc.
2. Slang. a crazy or eccentric person.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fruitcake - a whimsically eccentric person|
|2.||fruitcake - a rich cake containing dried fruit and nuts and citrus peel and so on|
cake - baked goods made from or based on a mixture of flour, sugar, eggs, and fat
Christmas cake - a rich fruitcake (usually covered with icing and marzipan) and eaten at Christmas
simnel - a fruitcake (sometimes covered with almond paste) eaten at mid-Lent or Easter or Christmas