Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. A heavy spiced cake containing nuts, candied or dried fruits, and often rum or brandy.
2. Slang A crazy or an eccentric person: "a fruitcake under the delusion that he was Saint Nicholas" (John Strahinich).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Cookery) a rich cake containing mixed dried fruit, lemon peel, nuts, etc
2. slang chiefly Brit a person considered to be eccentric or insane
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a rich cake containing candied fruit, nuts, spices, etc.
2. Slang. a crazy or eccentric person.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fruitcake - a whimsically eccentric person|
|2.||fruitcake - a rich cake containing dried fruit and nuts and citrus peel and so on|
cake - baked goods made from or based on a mixture of flour, sugar, eggs, and fat
Christmas cake - a rich fruitcake (usually covered with icing and marzipan) and eaten at Christmas
simnel - a fruitcake (sometimes covered with almond paste) eaten at mid-Lent or Easter or Christmas
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
fruitcake[ˈfruːtˌkeɪk] n → plumcake m inv (fam) (person) → picchiatello/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995