Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to fruiting: Fruiting bodies
n. pl. fruit or fruits
a. The ripened ovary or ovaries of a seed-bearing plant, together with accessory parts, containing the seeds and occurring in a wide variety of forms.
b. An edible, usually sweet and fleshy form of such a structure.
c. A part or an amount of such a plant product, served as food: fruit for dessert.
2. The fertile, often spore-bearing structure of a plant that does not bear seeds.
3. A plant crop or product: the fruits of the earth.
4. Result; outcome: the fruit of their labor.
5. Offspring; progeny.
6. A fruity aroma or flavor in a wine.
7. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a gay man.
intr. & tr.v. fruit·ed, fruit·ing, fruits
To produce or cause to produce fruit.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin frūctus, enjoyment, fruit, from past participle of fruī, to enjoy.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.