Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various tropical shrubs or trees of the genus Fuchsia, widely cultivated for their showy, drooping, purplish, reddish, or white flowers.
2. A strong, vivid purplish red.
[New Latin Fuchsia, genus name, after Leonhard Fuchs (1501-1566), German botanist.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any onagraceous shrub of the mostly tropical genus Fuchsia, widely cultivated for their showy drooping purple, red, or white flowers
2. (Plants) Also called: California fuchsia a North American onagraceous plant, Zauschneria californica, with tubular scarlet flowers
a. a reddish-purple to purplish-pink colour
b. (as adjective): a fuchsia dress.
[C18: from New Latin, named after Leonhard Fuchs (1501–66), German botanist]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl -sias.
1. any shrubby plant of the genus Fuchsia, of the evening primrose family, with pink to purplish drooping flowers.
2. a bright purplish red color.adj.
3. of the color fuchsia: a fuchsia dress.
[1745–55; < New Latin; after Leonhard Fuchs (1501–66), German botanist; see -ia]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fuchsia - any of various tropical shrubs widely cultivated for their showy drooping purplish or reddish or white flowers; Central and South America and New Zealand and Tahiti|
genus Fuchsia - large genus of decorative tropical shrubs with pendulous tetramerous flowers
Fuchsia coccinea, ladies'-eardrop, ladies'-eardrops, lady's-eardrop, lady's-eardrops - erect or climbing shrub of Brazil with deep pink to red flowers
Fuchsia excorticata, konini, native fuchsia, tree fuchsia - erect deciduous shrub or tree to 10 feet with maroon flowers; New Zealand
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
fuchsia[ˈfjuːʃə] N → fucsia f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
fuchsia[ˈfjuːʃə] n (= plant) → fuchsia m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Fuchsie f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995