Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to fumed: in favor of
1. Vapor, gas, or smoke, especially if irritating, harmful, or strong.
2. A strong or acrid odor.
3. A state of resentment or vexation.
v. fumed, fum·ing, fumes
1. To subject to or treat with fumes.
2. To give off in or as if in fumes.
1. To emit fumes.
2. To rise in fumes.
3. To feel or show resentment or vexation.
[Middle English, from Old French fum, from Latin fūmus.]
(Forestry) (of wood, esp oak) having a dark colour and distinctive grain from exposure to ammonia fumes
darkened or colored by exposure to ammonia fumes, as oak and other wood.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||fumed - (of wood) darkened or colored by exposure to ammonia fumes; "fumed oak"|
treated - subjected to a physical (or chemical) treatment or action or agent; "the sludge of treated sewage can be used as fertilizer"; "treated timbers resist rot"; "treated fabrics resist wrinkling"