Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A source of supply; a stock: a fund of goodwill.
a. A sum of money or other resources set aside for a specific purpose: a pension fund.
b. funds Available money; ready cash: short on funds.
3. An organization established to administer and manage a sum of money.
4. funds The stock of the British permanent national debt, considered as public securities. Used with the.
tr.v. fund·ed, fund·ing, funds
1. To provide funds for: funded the space program; a fully funded pension.
2. To convert (short-term government debt) into a long-term or floating debt with fixed interest payments.
[Latin fundus, bottom, piece of land.]