Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. fun·goes Baseball
A fly ball hit for fielding practice by a player who tosses the ball up and hits it on its way down with a long, thin, light bat.
n, pl -does or -dos
1. (Baseball) the act of tossing the ball upwards and hitting it as it descends
2. (Baseball) a ball hit in this manner
3. (Baseball) a light bat designed to be used to hit fungoes
4. (Baseball) to hit (a ball) high into the air
5. (Baseball) to toss (a ball) upwards and hit it as it descends
n., pl. -goes.
1. (in practice sessions) a baseball tossed by the batter into the air and struck as it comes down.
2. a batted ball, esp. a fly ball, hit in this manner.
3. Also called fun′go bat`. a long, narrow bat used for fungoes.
fungo- A baseball drill in which a batter tosses a ball in the air and hits it as it descends, probably from Scottish fung, "to pitch, toss, fling."
See also related terms for toss.