fungo(redirected from fungoes)
n. pl. fun·goes Baseball
A fly ball hit for fielding practice by a player who tosses the ball up and hits it on its way down with a long, thin, light bat.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -does or -dos
1. (Baseball) the act of tossing the ball upwards and hitting it as it descends
2. (Baseball) a ball hit in this manner
3. (Baseball) a light bat designed to be used to hit fungoes
4. (Baseball) to hit (a ball) high into the air
5. (Baseball) to toss (a ball) upwards and hit it as it descends
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -goes.
1. (in practice sessions) a baseball tossed by the batter into the air and struck as it comes down.
2. a batted ball, esp. a fly ball, hit in this manner.
3. Also called fun′go bat`. a long, narrow bat used for fungoes.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
fungo- A baseball drill in which a batter tosses a ball in the air and hits it as it descends, probably from Scottish fung, "to pitch, toss, fling."
See also related terms for toss.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.