Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to fustian: habergeon
a. A coarse sturdy cloth made of cotton and linen or flax.
b. Any of several thick twilled cotton fabrics, such as corduroy, having a short nap.
2. Pretentious speech or writing; pompous language.
1. Made of or as if of fustian: "[He] disliked the heavy, fustian ... and brocaded decor of Soviet officialdom" (Frederick Forsyth).
2. Pompous, bombastic, and ranting: "Yossarian was unmoved by the fustian charade of the burial ceremony" (Joseph Heller).
[Middle English fusten, fustian, from Old French fustaigne, from Medieval Latin fūstāneum, fūstiāneum (translation of Greek xulinos, made of cotton, from xulon, wood, cotton (cotton being so called because it comes from a woody shrub, unlike linen)) : Medieval Latin fūstis, wooden stick, tree trunk (from Latin, club; see fusty) + Latin -āneum, neuter of -āneus, adj. suffix. Noun, sense 2, and adjective, sense 2, probably from the fact that the nappy fustian of the 1500s was considered a cheap imitation of velvet, or perhaps from the use of fustian to cover cushions and pillows (that is, "padding") .]
a. a hard-wearing fabric of cotton mixed with flax or wool with a slight nap
b. (as modifier): a fustian jacket.
2. pompous or pretentious talk or writing
3. cheap; worthless
4. pompous; bombastic
[C12: from Old French fustaigne, from Medieval Latin fustāneum, from Latin fustis cudgel]
1. a stout fabric of cotton and flax.
2. a fabric of stout twilled cotton or of cotton and low-quality wool, with a short nap or pile.
3. inflated or turgid language in writing or speaking.adj.
4. made of fustian.
5. pompous or bombastic, as language.
[1150–1200; Middle English < Old French fustaigne < Medieval Latin fūstāneum]
a high-flown, bombastic style of writing or speaking. — fustianist, n.See also: Rhetoric and Rhetorical Devices
a high-flown, bombastic style of writing or speaking. — fustianist, n.See also: Language Style
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fustian - pompous or pretentious talk or writing|
|2.||fustian - a strong cotton and linen fabric with a slight nap|
n (Tex) → Barchent m
(Tex) → aus Barchent
(fig, = pompous) → schwülstig