Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A persistent irritating critic; a nuisance.
2. One that acts as a provocative stimulus; a goad.
3. Any of various flies, especially a warble fly, botfly, or horsefly, that bite or annoy livestock and other animals.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -flies
1. (Animals) any of various large dipterous flies, esp the horsefly, that annoy livestock by sucking their blood
2. a constantly irritating or harassing person
[C16: from gad2 (sting) + fly2]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -flies.
1. any of various flies, as a horsefly or warble fly, that bite or annoy livestock.
2. a person who persistently annoys or stirs up others, esp. with provocative criticism.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gadfly - a persistently annoying person|
|2.||gadfly - any of various large flies that annoy livestock|
fly - two-winged insects characterized by active flight
botfly - stout-bodied hairy dipterous fly whose larvae are parasites on humans and other mammals
warble fly - hairy bee-like fly whose larvae produce lumpy abscesses (warbles) under the skin of cattle
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
gadfly[ˈgædflaɪ] N → tábano m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
gadfly[ˈgædflaɪ] n (= person) → enquiquineur/euse m/f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → (Vieh)bremse f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
gadfly[ˈgædˌflaɪ] n → tafano
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. tábano, moscardón; moscón.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012