Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to gaiter: goiter
a. A heavy cloth or leather covering for the leg extending from the instep to the ankle or knee.
b. A similar covering of moisture-resistant fabric, used by skiers and hikers.
2. An ankle-high shoe with elastic sides.
3. An overshoe with a cloth top.
4. A tubular collar fitting closely around the neck, often worn by skiers.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n (often plural)
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a cloth or leather covering for the leg or ankle buttoned on one side and usually strapped under the foot
2. (Clothing & Fashion) Also called: spat a similar covering extending from the ankle to the instep
3. (Mountaineering) a waterproof covering for the ankle worn by climbers and walkers to prevent snow, mud, or gravel entering over the top of the boot
4. (Clothing & Fashion) a waterproof covering for the ankle worn by climbers and walkers to prevent snow, mud, or gravel entering over the top of the boot
[C18: from French guêtre, probably of Germanic origin and related to wrist]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a cloth or leather covering for the ankle and instep and sometimes also the lower leg, worn over the shoe or boot.
2. a cloth or leather shoe with elastic insertions at the sides.
3. an overshoe with a cloth top.
[1765–75; < French guêtre, Middle French guiestre, guestre, c. German Rist ankle, wrist. See wrist]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gaiter - a cloth covering (a legging) that covers the instep and ankles|
|2.||gaiter - a shoe covering the ankle with elastic gores in the sides|
gore, panel - a piece of cloth that is generally triangular or tapering; used in making garments or umbrellas or sails
shoe - footwear shaped to fit the foot (below the ankle) with a flexible upper of leather or plastic and a sole and heel of heavier material
|3.||gaiter - legging consisting of a cloth or leather covering for the leg from the knee to the ankle|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
gaiter[ˈgeɪtəʳ] N → polaina f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Gamasche f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
gaiter[ˈgeɪtəʳ] n → ghetta
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995