Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Wikipedia.
n. pl. gallows or gal·lows·es
a. A device usually consisting of two upright posts supporting a crossbeam from which a noose is suspended and used for execution by hanging; a gallows tree.
b. A similar structure used for supporting or suspending.
2. Execution by hanging: a crime punishable by the gallows.
[Middle English galwes, pl. of galwe, gallows, from Old English gealga, galga.]
n, pl -lowses or -lows
1. a wooden structure usually consisting of two upright posts with a crossbeam from which a rope is suspended, used for hanging criminals
2. (Building) any timber structure resembling this, such as (in Australia and New Zealand) a frame for hoisting up the bodies of slaughtered cattle
3. the gallows execution by hanging
[C13: from Old Norse galgi, replacing Old English gealga; related to Old High German galgo]
gal•lows(ˈgæl oʊz, -əz)
n., pl. -lows, -lows•es.
1. a wooden frame consisting of two upright timbers with a crossbeam from which condemned persons are hanged.
2. a similar structure from which something is suspended.
3. execution by hanging: a criminal sentenced to the gallows.
[before 900; Old English g(e)algan; c. OHG galgo]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gallows - an instrument of execution consisting of a wooden frame from which a condemned person is executed by hanging|
hangman's halter, hangman's rope, hempen necktie, halter, hemp - a rope that is used by a hangman to execute persons who have been condemned to death by hanging
instrument of execution - an instrument designed and used to take the life of a condemned person
gallows[ˈgæləʊz] n → potence f
gallows(ˈgӕləuz) noun singular
a wooden frame on which criminals were hanged. galg مِشْنَقَه бесило forca šibenice der Galgen galge ικρίωμαhorca võllas چوبه دار hirsipuu gibet עַמוּד תְּלִייָה फांसी का तखता vješala akasztófa tiang gantungan gálgi forca 絞首台 교수대 kartuvės karātavas tempat gantung galggalgeszubienica دار، زندۍ patíbulo spânzurătoare виселица šibenica vislice vešala galge ที่แขวนคอนักโทษ darağacı, idam sehpası 絞刑架 шибениця سولی giá treo cổ 绞刑架