Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The hock of a horse or other animal.
2. A frame used by butchers for hanging carcasses by the legs.
[French dialectal gamberel, from Old North French, from gambe, leg, from Late Latin gamba, hoof; see gambol.]
1. (Zoology) the hock of a horse or similar animal
2. a frame of wood or metal shaped like a horse's hind leg, used by butchers for suspending carcasses of meat
3. (Architecture) short for gambrel roof
[C16: from Old Northern French gamberel, from gambe leg]
1. the hock of an animal, esp. of a horse.
2. Also called gam′brel stick`. a wood or metal device for suspending a slaughtered animal.
[1540–50; < Old North French gamberel, akin to French jambier legging, jambe leg]
See also related terms for thigh.