gardenia(redirected from gardenias)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of various tropical shrubs and trees of the genus Gardenia, especially G. jasminoides, native to China, having glossy evergreen leaves and large, fragrant, usually white flowers.
2. The flower of any of these plants. In both senses also called Cape jasmine.
[New Latin Gardenia, genus name, after Alexander Garden.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any evergreen shrub or tree of the Old World tropical rubiaceous genus Gardenia, cultivated for their large fragrant waxlike typically white flowers
2. (Plants) the flower of any of these shrubs
[C18: New Latin, named after Dr Alexander Garden (1730–91), American botanist]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
gar•de•nia(gɑrˈdi nyə, -ni ə)
n., pl. -nias.
1. any subtropical Old World evergreen tree or shrub of the genus Gardenia, of the madder family, having shiny leaves and fragrant white flowers.
2. the flower of these plants.
[< New Latin (1760), after Alexander Garden (1730–91), American physician; see -ia]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gardenia - any of various shrubs and small trees of the genus Gardenia having large fragrant white or yellow flowers|
genus Gardenia - large genus of attractive Old World tropical shrubs and small trees
cape jasmine, cape jessamine, Gardenia augusta, Gardenia jasminoides - evergreen shrub widely cultivated for its large fragrant waxlike white flowers and glossy leaves
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
gardenia[gɑːˈdiːnɪə] N → gardenia f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
gardenia[gɑːrˈdiːniə] n (= flower) → gardénia m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Gardenie f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
gardenia[gɑːˈdiːnɪə] n → gardenia
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995