Also found in: Thesaurus.


also gauf·fer (gŏf′ər, gô′fər)
tr.v. gof·fered, gof·fer·ing, gof·fers also gauf·fered or gauf·fer·ing or gauf·fers
To press ridges or narrow pleats into (a frill, for example).
1. An iron used for pressing ridges or narrow pleats.
2. Ridges or pleats produced in this manner.

[French gaufrer, to emboss, from Old French, from gaufre, honeycomb, waffle, of Germanic origin; see webh- in Indo-European roots.]