Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
gaug·eralso gag·er (gā′jər)
1. One that gauges.
2. Chiefly British A revenue officer who inspects bulk goods subject to duty.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person or thing that gauges
2. (Commerce) chiefly Brit a customs officer who inspects bulk merchandise, esp liquor casks, for excise duty purposes
3. (Commerce) a collector of excise taxes
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person or thing that gauges.
2. a customs official, collector of excise taxes, or the like.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.