Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A system of gears and associated elements by which motion is transferred within a machine.
2. The act or technique of providing with gears.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) an assembly of gears designed to transmit motion
2. (Mechanical Engineering) the act or technique of providing gears to transmit motion
3. (Banking & Finance) accounting Also called: capital gearing Brit the ratio of a company's debt capital to its equity capital. US word: leverage
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an assembly of parts, esp. a train of gears, for transmitting and modifying motion and torque in a machine.
2. the act or process of equipping with gears.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gearing - wheelwork consisting of a connected set of rotating gears by which force is transmitted or motion or torque is changed; "the fool got his tie caught in the geartrain"|
engine - motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work
epicyclic gear train, epicyclic train - a system of epicyclic gears in which at least one wheel axis itself revolves about another fixed axis
reduction gear - gearing that reduces an input speed to a slower output speed
wheelwork - mechanical device including an arrangement of wheel in a machine (especially a train of gears)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.