Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Liberal in giving or sharing. See Synonyms at liberal.
2. Showing kindness and magnanimity: It was generous of him to mention us in his remarks.
3. Marked by abundance; ample: a generous slice of cake.
4. Having a rich bouquet and flavor: a generous wine.
5. Obsolete Of noble lineage.
[French genereux, of noble birth, magnanimous, from Latin generōsus, from genus, gener-, birth; see genə- in Indo-European roots.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||generousness - the trait of being willing to give your money or time|
charitableness - generosity as manifested by practicing charity (as for the poor or unfortunate)
bigheartedness - the quality of being kind and generous
unselfishness - the quality of not putting yourself first but being willing to give your time or money or effort etc. for others; "rural people show more devotion and unselfishness than do their urban cousins"
kindness - the quality of being warmhearted and considerate and humane and sympathetic
(of portion, supply) → Reichlichkeit f