Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to gens: gems
n. pl. gen·tes (jĕn′tēz′)
1. A patrilineal clan of ancient Rome composed of several families of the same name claiming a common ancestor and belonging to a common religious cult.
2. Anthropology An exogamous patrilineal clan.
n, pl gentes (ˈdʒɛntiːz)
1. (Historical Terms) (in ancient Rome) any of a group of aristocratic families, having a common name and claiming descent from a common ancestor in the male line
2. (Anthropology & Ethnology) anthropol a group based on descent in the male line
[C19: from Latin: race; compare genus, gender]
n., pl. gen•tes (ˈdʒɛn tiz)
1. a group of families in ancient Rome claiming descent from a common ancestor and sharing the same nomen.
2. a group of persons tracing common descent in the male line; clan.