Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to gentian: gentian violet
1. Any of numerous plants of the family Gentianaceae and especially the genus Gentiana, characteristically having opposite leaves and showy, often blue flowers.
2. The dried rhizome and roots of a yellow-flowered European gentian, G. lutea, sometimes used as a tonic.
[Middle English gencian, from Old French genciane, from Latin gentiāna, perhaps after Gentius, second-century bc king of Illyria.]
1. (Plants) any gentianaceous plant of the genera Gentiana or Gentianella, having blue, yellow, white, or red showy flowers
2. (Plants) the bitter-tasting dried rhizome and roots of Gentiana lutea (European or yellow gentian), which can be used as a tonic
3. (Plants) any of several similar plants, such as the horse gentian
[C14: from Latin gentiāna; perhaps named after Gentius, a second-century bc Illyrian king, reputedly the first to use it medicinally]
1. any plant of the gentian family, esp. the genus Gentiana, having usu. blue but sometimes yellow, white, or red flowers.
2. the root of a European species of gentian, G. lutea, used as a tonic.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin gentiāna]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gentian - any of various plants of the family Gentianaceae especially the genera Gentiana and Gentianella and Gentianopsis|
flower - a plant cultivated for its blooms or blossoms
family Gentianaceae, gentian family, Gentianaceae - chiefly herbaceous plants with showy flowers; some are cultivated as ornamentals
Gentiana acaulis, gentianella - low-growing alpine plant cultivated for its dark glossy green leaves in basal rosettes and showy solitary bell-shaped blue flowers
bottle gentian, Gentiana andrewsii, blind gentian, closed gentian - gentian of eastern North America having tubular blue or white flowers that open little if at all
explorer's gentian, Gentiana calycosa - tufted sometimes sprawling perennial with blue flowers spotted with green; western North America
blind gentian, closed gentian, Gentiana clausa - similar to Gentiana andrewsii but with larger flowers
calathian violet, Gentiana pneumonanthe, marsh gentian - perennial Eurasian gentian with sky-blue funnel-shaped flowers of damp open heaths
Gentiana saponaria, soapwort gentian - erect perennial of wet woodlands of North America having leaves and flower buds resembling those of soapwort
ague weed, agueweed, five-flowered gentian, Gentiana quinquefolia, Gentianella quinquefolia, stiff gentian - gentian of eastern North America having clusters of bristly blue flowers
felwort, gentianella amarella - gentian of Europe and China having creamy white flowers with fringed corollas
fringed gentian - any of various herbs of the genus Gentianopsis having the margins of the corolla lobes fringed; sometimes included in genus Gentiana
spurred gentian - any of various plants of the genus Halenia having flowers with spurred lobes