Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to geocentric: Geocentric orbit
1. Relating to, measured from, or with respect to the center of the earth.
2. Having the earth as a center.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Astronomy) having the earth at its centre: the Ptolemaic system postulated a geocentric universe.
2. (Astronomy) measured from or relating to the centre of the earth
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ge•o•cen•tric(ˌdʒi oʊˈsɛn trɪk)
1. having or representing the earth as a center: a geocentric theory of the universe.
2. using the earth or earthly life as the only basis of evaluation.
3. viewed or measured as from the center of the earth: the geocentric position of the moon.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Relating to or measured from the Earth's center.
2. Relating to a model of the solar system or universe having the Earth as the center. Compare heliocentric.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.