Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The magnetism of the earth.
2. The study of the earth's magnetism.
ge′o·mag·net′ic (-nĕt′ĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Physics) the magnetic field of the earth
2. (General Physics) the branch of physics concerned with this
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ge•o•mag•net•ism(ˌdʒi oʊˈmæg nɪˌtɪz əm)
1. the earth's magnetic field and associated phenomena.
2. the branch of geophysics that studies such phenomena.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The magnetic properties of the Earth. ♦ The magnetic field surrounding the Earth is called the geomagnetic field.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.