Guernsey(redirected from gets a guernsey)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
An island of southern Great Britain, one of the Channel Islands in the English Channel off the coast of northwest France.
n. pl. Guern·seys
Any of a breed of brown and white dairy cattle originally developed on the island of Guernsey and noted for producing a rich golden milk.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) an island in the English Channel: the second largest of the Channel Islands, which, with Alderney and Sark, Herm, Jethou, and some islets, forms the bailiwick of Guernsey; finance, market gardening, dairy farming, and tourism. Capital: St Peter Port. Pop: 65 605 (2013). Area: 63 sq km (24.5 sq miles)
2. (Breeds) a breed of dairy cattle producing rich creamy milk, originating from the island of Guernsey
3. (Clothing & Fashion) (sometimes not capital) a seaman's knitted woollen sweater
4. (Clothing & Fashion) (not capital) Austral a sleeveless woollen shirt or jumper worn by a football player
5. get a guernsey Austral to be selected or gain recognition for something
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -seys.
1. Isle of, one of the Channel Islands, in the English Channel. 55,482; 25 sq. mi. (65 sq. km).
2. one of a breed of tan and white dairy cattle originally raised on this island.
[1825–35, for definition 2]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Guernsey - a Channel Island to the northwest of Jersey|
Channel Island - any of a group of British islands in the English Channel off the northern coast of France
|2.||Guernsey - breed of dairy cattle from the island of Guernsey|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Guernsey[ˈgɜːnzɪ] N → Guernesey m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Guernsey[ˈgɜːrnzi] n → Guernesey mf
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Guernsey[ˈgɛːnzɪ] n (island) → (isola di) Guernsey f; (cow) → mucca di Guernsey
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995