Also found in: Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to giga-: Giga-byte
1. One billion (109): gigahertz.
2. 1,073,741,824 (230): gigabyte.
[From Greek gigās, giant.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Units) denoting 109: gigavolt. Symbol: G
2. (Computer Science) (in computer technology) denoting 230: gigabyte.
[from Greek gigas giant]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a combining form used in the names of units of measure equal to one billion of a given base unit: gigaton.
[< Greek gígās giant]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A prefix that means:
2. One billion (109), as in gigahertz, one billion hertz.
3. 230 (that is, 1,073,741,824), which is the power of 2 closest to a billion, as in gigabyte. See Table at measurement.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A prefix meaning one billion (109). For example, 1 gigameter = 1 billion meters.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
pref → Giga-
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007