Also found in: Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to giga-: Giga-byte
1. One billion (109): gigahertz.
2. 1,073,741,824 (230): gigabyte.
[From Greek gigās, giant.]
1. (Units) denoting 109: gigavolt. Symbol: G
2. (Computer Science) (in computer technology) denoting 230: gigabyte.
[from Greek gigas giant]
a combining form used in the names of units of measure equal to one billion of a given base unit: gigaton.
[< Greek gígās giant]
1. A prefix that means:
2. One billion (109), as in gigahertz, one billion hertz.
3. 230 (that is, 1,073,741,824), which is the power of 2 closest to a billion, as in gigabyte. See Table at measurement.
A prefix meaning one billion (109). For example, 1 gigameter = 1 billion meters.
pref → Giga-