Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to gilded: gilded cage
tr.v. gild·ed or gilt (gĭlt), gild·ing, gildsIdiom:
1. To cover with or as if with a thin layer of gold.
2. To give an often deceptively attractive or improved appearance to.
3. Archaic To smear with blood.
gild the lily
1. To adorn unnecessarily something already beautiful.
2. To make superfluous additions to what is already complete.
Variant of guild.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||gilded - having the deep slightly brownish color of gold; "long aureate (or golden) hair"; "a gold carpet"|
chromatic - being or having or characterized by hue
|2.||gilded - based on pretense; deceptively pleasing; "the gilded and perfumed but inwardly rotten nobility"; "meretricious praise"; "a meretricious argument"|
insincere - lacking sincerity; "a charming but thoroughly insincere woman"; "their praise was extravagant and insincere"
|3.||gilded - rich and superior in quality; "a princely sum"; "gilded dining rooms"|
rich - suggestive of or characterized by great expense; "a rich display"
|4.||gilded - made from or covered with gold; "gold coins"; "the gold dome of the Capitol"; "the golden calf"; "gilded icons"|