gilding(redirected from gildings)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
the application of gold leaf; something used to create a deceptively alluring aspect
Not to be confused with:
gelding – a castrated male animal; a eunuch
1. The art or process of applying gilt to a surface.
2. A thin layer of gold or a paint containing or simulating gold; gilt.
3. Something used to give a superficially attractive appearance.
1. (Art Terms) the act or art of applying gilt to a surface
2. (Art Terms) the surface so produced
3. (Art Terms) another word for gilt12
Covering an object with gold.