gimp(redirected from gimps)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
A narrow flat braid or rounded cord of fabric used for trimming. Also called guimpe, guipure.
[Perhaps from French guimpe; see guimpe.]
gimp 2(gĭmp) Slang
1. A limp or a limping gait.
2. Often Offensive A person who limps.
intr.v. gimped, gimp·ing, gimps
To walk with a limp.
(Textiles) a tapelike trimming of silk, wool, or cotton, often stiffened with wire
[C17: probably from Dutch gimp, of unknown origin]
1. offensive slang US and Canadian a physically disabled person, esp one who is lame
2. slang a sexual fetishist who likes to be dominated and who dresses in a leather or rubber body suit with mask, zips, and chains
[C20: of unknown origin]
a flat trimming of silk, wool, or other cord.
[1655–65; appar. < Dutch gimp]
[1900–05; orig. uncertain]
gimp3(gɪmp) Slang. n.
1. a limp.
2. Usually Offensive. a person who limps; lame person.v.i.
3. to limp; walk in a halting manner.
gimp′y, adj. -i•er, -i•est.
usage: Definition 2 is usually perceived as insulting.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gimp - disability of walking due to crippling of the legs or feet|
disability of walking - a disability that interferes with or prevents walking
intermittent claudication - lameness due to pain in leg muscles because the blood supply is inadequate; pain subsides with rest
|Verb||1.||gimp - walk impeded by some physical limitation or injury; "The old woman hobbles down to the store every day"|
walk - use one's feet to advance; advance by steps; "Walk, don't run!"; "We walked instead of driving"; "She walks with a slight limp"; "The patient cannot walk yet"; "Walk over to the cabinet"