gingery(redirected from gingerily)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A plant (Zingiber officinale) of tropical Southeast Asia having yellowish-green flowers and a pungent aromatic rhizome.
2. The rhizome of this plant, used as a spice either fresh or in dried and powdered form. Also called gingerroot.
a. Any of several related plants having variously colored, often fragrant flowers.
b. Wild ginger.
4. A strong brown.
5. Informal Spirit and liveliness; vigor.
6. Slang A person who has red hair.
tr.v. gin·gered, gin·ger·ing, gin·gers
1. To spice with ginger.
2. Informal To make lively: A steel drum band gingered up the party.
[Middle English gingivere, from Old English gingifer and from Old French gingivre, both from Medieval Latin gingiber, from Latin zingiberi, from Greek zingiberis, of Middle Indic origin (akin to Pali singiveram), from Dravidian : akin to Tamil iñci, ginger (of southeast Asian origin) + Tamil vēr, root.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Cookery) like or tasting of ginger
2. (Colours) of or like the colour ginger
3. full of vigour; high-spirited
4. pointed; biting: a gingery remark.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||gingery - having a taste like that of ginger|
tasty - pleasing to the sense of taste; "a tasty morsel"
|2.||gingery - (used especially of hair or fur) having a bright orange-brown color; "a man with gingery hair and bright blue eyes"; "a ginger kitten"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
gingery[ˈdʒɪndʒərɪ] ADJ [hair] → rojizo
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj hair, colour → rötlich
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
gingery[ˈdʒɪndʒərɪ] adj → rossiccio/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995