Also found in: Wikipedia.
Related to girdler: mutton
1. One that makes girdles.
2. Any of several insects that chew circular bands around twigs or stems.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person or thing that girdles
2. a maker of girdles
3. (Animals) any insect, such as the twig girdler, that bores circular grooves around the stems or twigs in which it lays its eggs
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person or thing that girdles.
2. any of several insects, as a beetle, Oncideres cingulata, that cut a groove around the bark of a stem, etc.
3. a person who makes girdles.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.