Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. glad·i·o·li (-lī, -lē) or glad·i·o·lus·es
1. also glad·i·o·la (-lə) Botany Any of numerous plants of the genus Gladiolus, native chiefly to tropical and southern Africa and having sword-shaped leaves and showy, variously colored, irregular flowers arranged in one-sided spikes. Also called sword lily.
2. Anatomy The large middle section of the sternum.
[Middle English gladiol, from Latin gladiolus, wild iris, diminutive of gladius, sword; see gladiator.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -lus, -li (-laɪ) or -luses
1. (Plants) Also called: sword lily or gladiola any iridaceous plant of the widely cultivated genus Gladiolus, having sword-shaped leaves and spikes of funnel-shaped brightly coloured flowers
2. (Anatomy) anatomy the large central part of the breastbone
[C16: from Latin: a small sword, sword lily, from gladius a sword]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
glad•i•o•lus(ˌglæd iˈoʊ ləs)
n., pl. -lus, -li (-lī), -lus•es for 1; -li for 2.
1. any plant of the genus Gladiolus, of the iris family, native esp. to Africa, having erect, sword-shaped leaves and spikes of flowers in a variety of colors.
2. the middle segment of the sternum.
[1560–70; < Latin: small sword, sword lily =gladi(us) sword + -olus -ole1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gladiolus - any of numerous plants of the genus Gladiolus native chiefly to tropical and South Africa having sword-shaped leaves and one-sided spikes of brightly colored funnel-shaped flowers; widely cultivated|
iridaceous plant - any bulbous plant of the family Iridaceae
genus Gladiolus - gladiolas
|2.||gladiolus - the large central part of the breastbone|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
gladiolus[glædɪˈəʊləs] N (gladiolus or gladioluses or gladioli (pl)) [ˌglædɪˈəʊlaɪ] → gladiolo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n pl <gladioli> → Gladiole f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
gladiolus[ˌglædɪˈəʊləs] n → gladiolo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995