Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A sparkling or glistening light.
2. Brilliant or showy, often superficial attractiveness.
3. Small pieces of light-reflecting decorative material.
intr.v. glit·tered, glit·ter·ing, glit·ters
1. To sparkle brilliantly; glisten: a gold ring that glittered in the display window; eyes that glittered with tears. See Synonyms at flash.
2. To be reflected as a sparkling or glistening light: The sun glittered on the snow.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||glittery - having brief brilliant points or flashes of light; "bugle beads all aglitter"; "glinting eyes"; "glinting water"; "his glittering eyes were cold and malevolent"; "shop window full of glittering Christmas trees"; "glittery costume jewelry"; "scintillant mica"; "the scintillating stars"; "a dress with sparkly sequins"; "`glistering' is an archaic term"|
bright - emitting or reflecting light readily or in large amounts; "the sun was bright and hot"; "a bright sunlit room"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.