Gnostic(redirected from gnostically)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. gnostic Of, relating to, or possessing intellectual or spiritual knowledge.
2. Of or relating to Gnosticism.
A believer in Gnosticism.
[Late Latin Gnōsticus, a Gnostic, from Late Greek Gnōstikos, from Greek gnōstikos, concerning knowledge, from gnōsis, knowledge; see gnosis.]
(Philosophy) of, relating to, or possessing knowledge, esp esoteric spiritual knowledge
(Other Non-Christian Religions) an adherent of Gnosticism
(Ecclesiastical Terms) of or relating to Gnostics or to Gnosticism
[C16: from Late Latin Gnosticī the Gnostics, from Greek gnōstikos relating to knowledge, from gnōstos known, from gignōskein to know]
adj. Also, gnos′ti•cal.
1. pertaining to knowledge.
2. possessing knowledge, esp. esoteric knowledge of spiritual matters.
3. (cap.) pertaining to or characteristic of the Gnostics.n.
4. (cap.) a member of any of certain heretical early Christian mystical sects that claimed that matter was evil and denied that Christ had a natural corporeal existence.
[1555–65; < Late Latin Gnōsticī (pl.) < Greek gnōstikós (singular) pertaining to knowledge =gnōst(ós), v. adj. of gignṓskein to know + -ikos -ic]
Gnos′ti•cism (-təˌsɪz əm) n.
gnostic- Means "relating to knowledge" or "clever, knowing."
See also related terms for knowing.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Gnostic - an advocate of Gnosticism|
|Adj.||1.||Gnostic - of or relating to Gnosticism; "Gnostic writings"|
|2.||gnostic - possessing intellectual or esoteric knowledge of spiritual things|