ballistic(redirected from goes ballistic)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms.
a. Of or relating to the study of the dynamics of projectiles.
b. Of or relating to the study of the internal action of firearms.
2. Of or relating to projectiles, their motion, or their effects.
go ballistic Slang
To become very angry or irrational.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Physics) of or relating to ballistics
2. (General Physics) denoting or relating to the flight of projectiles after power has been cut off, moving under their own momentum and the external forces of gravity and air resistance
3. (General Physics) (of a measurement or measuring instrument) depending on a brief impulse or current that causes a movement related to the quantity to be measured: a ballistic pendulum.
4. go ballistic informal to become enraged or frenziedly violent
5. (of materials) strong enough to resist damage by projectile weapons: ballistic nylon.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. of or pertaining to ballistics.
2. having its motion determined or describable by the laws of exterior ballistics.Idioms:
go ballistic, to become overwrought or irrational.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||ballistic - relating to or characteristic of the motion of objects moving under their own momentum and the force of gravity; "ballistic missile"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
go ballistic (Informal)
2. go through the roof, go mental (slang), go mad, go bananas (slang), go out of control August registrations have gone ballistic.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
ballistic[bəˈlɪstɪk] adj → balistico/a
intercontinental ballistic missile → missile m a gettata intercontinentale
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995