Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to golden rule: Golden ratio
1. often Golden Rule
a. The ethical principle that one should behave toward others as one would have others behave toward oneself.
b. An expression of this principle, especially the words of Jesus in the New Testament verses Matthew 7:12 and Luke 6:31.
2. A fundamental principle to be followed in order to ensure success in general or in a particular undertaking: the golden rule of investing.
1. (Bible) any of a number of rules of fair conduct, such as Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them (Matthew 7:12) or thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself (Leviticus 19:28)
2. any important principle: a golden rule of sailing is to wear a life jacket.
3. Brit the principle advocated by Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown (in office 1997–2007) that a government should only borrow to invest
4. (Mathematics) another name for rule of three
a rule of ethical conduct, usually phrased “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you,” found in various wordings in most major religions.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||golden rule - any important rule; "the golden rule of teaching is to be clear"|
|2.||Golden Rule - a command based on Jesus' words in the Sermon on the Mount; "Whatsoever ye would that men do unto you, do you even so unto them" (Matthew 7:12)|