References in classic literature ?
JEREMY put on a macintosh, and a pair of shiny goloshes; he took his rod and basket, and set off with enormous hops to the place where he kept his boat.
A GREAT big water-beetle came up underneath the lily leaf and tweaked the toe of one of his goloshes.
He wanted to walk round the box but his feet would not move and his new clean goloshes had grown to the stone floor, and he could neither lift them nor get his feet out of the goloshes.
"Didn't you know she gave Evie a present last August, and Evie returned it, and then--oh, goloshes! You never read such a letter as Miss Avery wrote."
'The presents that have been made to him,' said Mr Kenwigs, reverting to his calamity, 'the pipes, the snuff-boxes--a pair of india-rubber goloshes, that cost six-and-six--'
And we, my poor Watson, want overcoats and cravats and goloshes, and every aid that man ever invented to fight the weather.
Ramsay "clapped a deer-stalker's hat on her head; she ran across the lawn in goloshes to snatch a child from mischief.
Goloshes calls "Uncle Al." And the capital, Miss Michiko, of Finland?
Most readers would find amusing Firbank's request to an acquaintance: "I wish you wouldn't call me Firbank; it gives me a sense of goloshes." The conjunction of Firbank and so (both in appearance and sound) inelegant an article of clothing is what amuses most readers.
Seven stories--'Wild Swans', 'Old Luk-Oie', 'The Goloshes of Fortune', 'Red Shoes', 'What the Moon Saw', 'Little Sea Maid' and 'The Snow Queen'--are referred to by name.
Dictionary browser ?
- Golgi complex
- Golgi's cell
- goliath beetle
- goliath frog
- goliath grouper
Full browser ?
- Goloded, Nikolai
- Goloded, Nikolai Matveevich
- Golodnaia Guba
- Golodnaia Steppe
- Golodnyi, Mikhail
- Golodnyi, Mikhail Semenovich
- Gölök Zoltán Buday
- Gölök Zoltán Leenderdt Franco Buday
- Golombok Rust Inventory of Marital State
- Golombok Rust Inventory of Sexual Satisfaction
- Golongan Karya
- Golos Minuvshego
- Golos Moskvy
- Golos Rodiny
- Golos Soldata
- Golos Sotsial-Demokrata
- Goloshchekin, Filipp
- Goloshchekin, Filipp Isaevich
- Golosov, Ilia
- Golosov, Ilia Aleksandrovich
- Golosov, Panteleimon
- Golosov, Panteleimon Aleksandrovich
- Golota, Ilia
- Golovach, Platon
- Golovach, Platon Romanovich
- Golovachev, Aleksandr
- Golovachev, Aleksandr Alekseevich
- Golovachev, Aleksei
- Golovachev, Aleksei Adrianovich
- Golovachev, Pavel
- Golovachev, Pavel Iakovlevich
- Golovanivskii, Savva
- Golovanivskii, Savva Evseevich
- Golovanov, Aleksandr
- Golovanov, Aleksandr Evgenevich
- Golovanov, Nikolai
- Golovanov, Nikolai Semenovich
- Golovatskii, Iakov
- Golovatskii, Iakov Fedorovich
- Golovatyi, Ferapont
- Golovatyi, Ferapont Petrovich
- Golovin, AK, USA
- Golovin, Aleksandr
- Golovin, Aleksandr Iakovlevich