Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to gong: Gong Show
1. A rimmed metal disk that produces a loud, sonorous tone when struck with a padded mallet.
2. A usually saucer-shaped bell that is struck with a mechanically operated hammer.
intr.v. gonged, gong·ing, gongs
To make the sound of a gong.
1. (Instruments) Also called: tam-tam a percussion instrument of indefinite pitch, consisting of a metal platelike disc struck with a soft-headed drumstick
2. (Mechanical Engineering) a rimmed metal disc, hollow metal hemisphere, or metal strip, tube, or wire that produces a note when struck. It may be used to give alarm signals when operated electromagnetically
3. (Horology) a fixed saucer-shaped bell, as on an alarm clock, struck by a mechanically operated hammer
4. (Military) slang Brit a medal, esp a military one
5. (Instruments) (intr) to sound a gong
6. (tr) (of traffic police) to summon (a driver) to stop by sounding a gong
[C17: from Malay, of imitative origin]
1. a large bronze disk, that produces a vibrant, hollow tone when struck.
2. a shallow bell struck by an electrically or mechanically operated hammer.
3. (in a clock or watch) a rod or wire, either straight or bent into a spiral, on which the time is struck.v.i.
4. to sound as a gong does; ring, chime, or reverberate.
[1800–10; < Malay, Javanese]
Past participle: gonged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gong - a percussion instrument consisting of a metal plate that is struck with a softheaded drumstick|
|2.||gong - a percussion instrument consisting of a set of tuned bells that are struck with a hammer; used as an orchestral instrument|
carillon - set of bells hung in a bell tower
handbell - a bell that is held in the hand
|Verb||1.||gong - sound a gong|
sound - cause to sound; "sound the bell"; "sound a certain note"
جَرَس أو ناقوس التَّنبيه
gong[ˈgɒŋ] n → gong m
gong[gɒŋ] n → gong m inv
a metal plate which, when struck, gives a ringing sound. a dinner gong. ghong جَرَس أو ناقوس التَّنبيه гонг gongo gong der Gong gongong γκογκ, σήμαντρο gong gong گانگ؛ ناقوس نعلبکی شکل kumistin gongגונג घंटा gong gong gong gong, málmdiskur gong どら (신호용) 공, 징 gongas gongs gong gonggongonggong يو ډول غټ فلزى زنګ gongue gong гонг gong gong gong gonggong ฆ้อง gong 銅鑼 гонг دھات کا گھنٹہ cái chiêng; cồng 铜锣