Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to gopher: Geomyidae
1. Any of various short-tailed, burrowing rodents of the family Geomyidae of North America, having fur-lined external cheek pouches. Also called pocket gopher.
2. Any of various ground squirrels of North American prairies.
3. See gopher tortoise.
[Probably short for earlier megopher, gopher tortoise, probably of Muskogean origin; akin to Choctaw kofussa, a hollow, an excavation.]
1. (Animals) Also called: pocket gopher any burrowing rodent of the family Geomyidae, of North and Central America, having a thickset body, short legs, and cheek pouches
2. (Animals) another name for ground squirrel
3. (Animals) any burrowing tortoise of the genus Gopherus, of SE North America
4. (Animals) gopher snake another name for bull snake
[C19: shortened from earlier megopher or magopher, of obscure origin]
1. Also called pocket gopher. any New World burrowing rodent of the family Geomyidae, having a stout body, a short tail, and external cheek pouches.
3. (cap.) a native or inhabitant of Minnesota (used as a nickname).
[1785–95; earlier megopher, magopher a burrowing land tortoise]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gopher - a zealously energetic person (especially a salesman)|
|2.||Gopher - a native or resident of Minnesota |
American - a native or inhabitant of the United States
|3.||gopher - any of various terrestrial burrowing rodents of Old and New Worlds; often destroy crops|
squirrel - a kind of arboreal rodent having a long bushy tail
antelope chipmunk, antelope squirrel, Citellus leucurus, whitetail antelope squirrel - small ground squirrel of western United States
Citellus lateralis, mantled ground squirrel - common black-striped reddish-brown ground squirrel of western North America; resembles a large chipmunk
Citellus richardsoni, flickertail, Richardson ground squirrel - of sagebrush and grassland areas of western United States and Canada
Citellus variegatus, rock squirrel - large grey ground squirrel of rocky areas of the southwestern United States
|4.||gopher - burrowing rodent of the family Geomyidae having large external cheek pouches; of Central America and southwestern North America|
pocket rat - any of various rodents with cheek pouches
|5.||gopher - burrowing edible land tortoise of southeastern North America|
tortoise - usually herbivorous land turtles having clawed elephant-like limbs; worldwide in arid area except Australia and Antarctica